Can my classmate mary her partner ?

Hi Wilhelmina,

Thanks for writing to Alterheros. It is currently legal for same-sex couples to marry in Quebec, and also the rest of Canada. So yes, it is possible for your friend and your friend’s partner to marry in Quebec. The marriage will be recognized throughout Canada. The marriage may not, however, but recognized in jurisdictions outside Canada where same-sex marriage is not recognized. For more information about getting married in Quebec, please visit the following web site:

Hope this answers your question.

Best regards,


Alterheros volunteer