15 April 2008

I have white bumps on my penis and a burning sensation when I urinate

I have these white bumps on my penis and I had them for a while now… I also had a really bad rash and the doctor gave me medication for that.
How do I get rid of the white bumps?
I don’t feel safe when a woman wants to have sex with me, so I avoid them but the more I do they try harder. What could I do to make them go away?
I can’t see a doctor, as I have no insurance.
The first place I went to was Planned Parenthood and that is where I got myself checked out, but they didn’t do a good job. In addition, my penis hurts when I urinate…it burns very badly. Can you help me?

lauren delrio

Hi Swish,

It sounds like you are worried about white bumps on your penis and burning when you urinate. You also want to know how to avoid sex when you are worried about possible STI transmission.

The white bumps you describe on your penis could be Fordyce spots, which are overly active sebaceous glands. These spots are perfectly normal and pose no risk for you or your partner. If the bumps are not uniform, they could be a sign of a sexually transmitted infection (STI) such as general warts. The only way to know for sure is to go get checked at your doctor’s office or a sexual health clinic.

Burning when you urinate is most likely a sign of a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). This is a simple infection of the urethra, and can generally be improved by drinking lots of fluids and avoiding sugars and alcohol, although they usually require antibiotics to be completely eradicated. UTI’s are very common in women; however, they are not as common in men. A UTI in a man usually warrants further investigation. In addition, many UTI’s, if left untreated, can lead to pyelonephritis (infection of the kidneys) and damage the kidneys permanently. On the other hand, the burning you experience upon urination could be due to a STI. I would recommend seeing a doctor or going to a clinic, where they will be able to test you further.

As for your question about women, I would advise you to simply stand firm and reiterate your position. If you are not comfortable with having sex with any person at any time, you have the right to say no. A person who does not respect that right is not showing you respect, and you should consider not having further contact with that person. That being said, it is always your choice and your decision, and you should stand by what you think is right.

Since you have no insurance, I would again advise returning to Planned Parenthood or another walk-in clinic for the uninsured where you might get more professional advice. You deserve further medical investigation, and you should not wait until your symptoms worsen.

Please don’t hesitate to write back if you have any other questions,

Good luck,

Lauren, for AlterHeroes