22 November 2007

I have tiny white bumps on the penis and around the testicles. Is this a sign of STIs?

I have tiny white bumps all over the base of my penis and around the testicles. The bumps on the testicles seem like they are attached to my pubic hair but the ones on the shaft dont have hair coming out from them. There is a slight discharge from my penis and if you squeeze these white bumps enough a little bit of white substance will come out. I have also noticed that my penis tends to be moist and kind of sticky. Is this a sign of STIs, and if so, do you know what kind it could possibly be? I have had these symptoms for a year or so.

lauren delrio

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for writing in. It sounds like you are asking whether the small white bumps on the base of your penis and around the testicles are a sign of a sexually transmitted infection (STI). You also want to know if discharge in the penis, or having a moist, sticky penis, are symptoms.

The spots you are describing could be Fordyce spots. Fordyce spots are small white or yellowish bumps that appear on the penis and testicles in some people. These spots are not a symptom of an STI, but are actually large oil-producing glands. If the spots are Fordyce spots, you have nothing to worry about. In fact, about 90% of adult peoplpe with penises have Fordyce spots. It presents no health risk to you or your partner.

There are, however, other possibilities. Small white bumps can be a symptom of human papillomavirus (HPV), a sexually transmitted infection. HPV is one of the most common STIs, and fortunately, it is also treatable. Sexually transmitted infections can be protected against by the use of a barrier contraceptive, such as a condom, although this does not guarantee 100% protection.

As for the abnormal moistness in your penis, this can also be caused by several factors. It could be a sign of a sexually transmitted infection, or a sign of an infection in your urethra. However, it could also be that you have a tendency to sweat more in that region.

I would recommend making an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. He/she will be able to make a more complete diagnosis. Please don’t hesitate to write back if you have more questions.

Lauren, for AlterHeroes