1 mars 2009

I have a few problems and I want someone to listen to me !

Dear Experts,
I have a few problems and I want someone to listen me and give me some advises. I’m going to high and I’m only 15. The first problem that I have is that «loneliness». At school I have only 1 friend but she not my close friend. I don’t have ANY friends. A saw my friend’s friend she didn’t even say hi to me. I used to be friends with some girls or boys and now they don’t even talk to me. I’m so alone nobody talks to me in the school. At home my mom always insults me she always calls me «fat,ugly,nasty». One time I was at home and my notebook accidentally fell and my father hit me. My mom hits me too, from one small thing she hits me. I don’t think my parents love me. I’m so alone at home and school. I have no friends. My parents hates me. I feel so empty. I don’t want to go outside or do anything. I’m so depressed. I have a lot of problems and it so hard to deal with them. I think I might suffer from «depression. What should I do? Please help me.
Thank you

Sophie Bouchard

Dear SweetAppleCandy,

First of all, I want to tell you I am sorry for having taken so long to answer your question. It has nothing to do with you.

The situation you describe seems to be very sad. You seem to suffer from loneliness and misunderstanding from your parents. From what you describe, your parents seem to be frequently unsupportive and abusive with you, verbally, emotionally and physically. This is serious and it is a very good thing that you call for help by writing to us. It is the first step to do. Now, you will have to be very strong and courageous to fight for a decent life, surrounded with people who can love you and appreciate you for who you are.

I also want to tell you that your situation is not unique: many teenagers suffer from similar life conditions and have to look outside their family to find the love and support they need.

You did not mention your location, but if you are in Quebec, you can go to your local CLSC and ask to see a social worker. It is free and confidential, since you are more than 14 years old. They should listen to you and suggest you resources in your area for support and solutions. Otherwise, do you go to school? You can look for an adult you can trust at school who can help you find help.

Another option: you can also, from wherever you are, contact Kids help phone at 1 800 668 6868 or on the web at http://www.kidshelpphone.ca/ They are specialized in youth issues so they should be able to help you find resources in your area.

If you have a doctor you trust, or if you feel comfortable seeing a doctor, you can also go see him/her and tell them your story. They shall be able to determine if you suffer from depression or not.

So, my advice is: go ahead, be active in seeking help from professionals and soon you will find people willing to help you overcome these obstacles one by one. Trust yourself, you deserve a better life right now and from now on.

I wish you the best,

Sophie for the AlterHéros Team